Dear Ladies and Gentlemen of the banana!
A few days ago Valve invited us to come along to the EuroGamer Expo in London and play the latest game they are developing, "Counter-Strike: Global Offensive". I've managed to arrange a half-hour slot with the team on Sunday the 25th of September, and am offering you the chance to put forward some questions to the team!
- Feel free to submit any questions you would like me to put to the team, however (as we found out with EA) I cannot guarantee that they will answer them.
- All questions must be submitted by 23:59 GMT on Saturday the 24th of September 2011
- Please ensure your questions are well phrased and use good English. (Also feel free to correct any of mine)
- I only have 30 minutes with the team, so I may not have a chance to ask all questions, but I will try my hardest to ask the most popular or interesting questions.
Potential questions so far!
- Due to the game being aimed primary at competitive players, will there be support for any form of custom content and if so to what extent? - [Tom]
- Are there any plans to release an SDK for CS:GO?
- Due to the game being cross platform, what impact will this have on dedicated servers, or will they become obsolete?
- Can you confirm or deny rumours that popular community made maps from CS and/or CS:S will be included in the release of CS:GO or at a later date.
- Similarly can you confirm or deny rumours that popular custom game modes (such as GunGame and Zombie Mod) will be become official with the release of CS:GO? And will we see the return of VIP mode - [Jonny/Acido71/Unreal]
- Will CS:GO operate on the VAC2 system or will the anti-cheat be updated, and how will cross platform gaming affect this?
- Will we see the return of hats and other such promotional items as we have seen in TF2 and Portal 2?
- Will CS:GO have a contribute system similar to TF2 for new community made items/maps?
- What engine will CS:GO run on - [Agent]
- If you had to compare CS:GO to 1.6 or Source, which is it closest to in gameplay or is it different from both? - [Amen]
- Will there be 100 tick for Bunny Hop and Surf? :D - [yaznee]
- Will the guns be fixed with release or will there be more released in the future, to update the game with more features? Also with this will there be more maps released over time (DLC) and will your character be customisable? - [Wiki/Evil Clown/Acido71]
- With the release of CS:GO, will you be dropping the beta updates for CS:S? - [Schnookieface]
- Will owners of CS:S or 1.6 be eligible for beta testing later in the year? - [est3tic]
- So far can you tell us what minimum requirements are lily to be? [est3tic/RAM!]
- Will CS:GO use .GCF files or files similar to L4d2's pak files? - [TwistX]
- Will There Be The Same Source Model Files as The Older One? .mdl and .vtf , .vmf - [Mak3ttaja]
- Will CS:GO use a c_model system akin to the ones in tf2 and/or left 4 dead or stick with the old v and w models? - [AsteroidRules]
- How will weapon models work? Will they be like left 4 dead where the weapon contains the animations and the arms are attached to it, or tf2 where it's the hands that have the anims, or like cs:s where the arms and weapon are the same model? - [AsteroidRules]
- Will the game support Dx10 and or 11 - [TwistX]
- Will be the map files remain .bsp or will you be using a new file type with increased vertex/polys? - [Eagle Xander]
- In regards to hit boxes, many die hard 1.6 fans hated source on initial release due to terrible hit box ratio. Have you taken any time to investigate CS:GO with official competitive partners and players to ensure correct hit boxes? - [BigDog]
- Counter-Strike, in General, has never been released by itself. In the norm, Valve (you guys) have released CS with major titles, such as Half-Life and Half-life 2 bundles. Is CS:GO going to be coming out with possible Half-Life 3? - [BigDog]
- What are the plans for server administration? Will there be a built in system such as SourceAdminMod or AMX Mod X right into the game? or will CS:GO use the same old rcon system. - [BigDog]
- You guys announced that we will have Ranked Match Making. Can you explain a little bit more about this? How will players be told apart, experience points? Overall kill/death ratio? - [BigDog]
- What was the Idea behind adding the molotov cocktail? Couldn't it be a game killer when overused by the players? - [Alex']
- Seeing as you have stated that this is not "Counter Strike 2", what would classify such a game to be an official sequel to Counter Strike Source? - [FlyAwayNOw]
- Will the hostages be more advanced NPC's (like reacting to the environment, such as running from T's or running for cover) or just idiots who follow you around (like in the original CS:S)? -[Ark11]
- Do you think many of PS3 players are going to plug mouse and keyboard in when playing CS:GO, or stick to the more familiar controller format?
- Will characters be customisable? - [Hanzo Sixx]
- How many MORE entities/ overlays/ props/ details can the updated engine handle compared to CS:S, and still have relatively decent FPS? - [Bobpoblo]
- After looking at the above post, can we import our old map files into the SDK (if there is one) and update them accordingly? - [Bobpoblo]
- Will there be any new techniques to optimize custom maps? Aside from the usual areaportal, hint/ skip, nodraw, etc. - [Bobpoblo]
- Will character models be more dynamic in the game? i.e : Helmets and kevlar vests not showing up unless you buy one, Silencer attatchment animations, Etc. - [Marxman]
- Will there be a protection/mobility tradeoff based on the amount of equipment you are carrying? - [Marxman]
- Will damage/flinch animations be used when a player is hit, like back in 1.6 and Condition Zero? - [Doneh]
- Will offline bot gameplay be available for console gamers without an Internet connection for said consoles? - [Bigfoot427]
- Can you tell us of any technical improvements this game brought to the source engine? - [tsaweeos]
- What were (you) most looking forward to when they were first told to develop a new CS game? - [tsaweeos]
- Will the game eventually become free to play like TF2 and microtransactions will be avalable ? - [Teh Snake]
- Are the shown first person animations placeholders and will they be improved upon release? - [Brainz]
- Are the small hands models going to be fixed to be more realistic?
- In Dota 2 there is some realtime lighting will CS:go also have this lighting? - [LATTEH]